Friday, August 05, 2005

A brotherly musing

Good day, children. Playing my piano in the soft glow of my candelabra and reflecting on yesterday’s events, I couldn’t help but to think to myself, “I wish my brother George was here.” Then I had a brilliant idea: I will muse about him!

I am sure most of you are aware that my brother George, who has been visiting me here at Castel Gandolfo, had to be taken to the hospital yesterday. The doctors implanted a pacemaker to regulate his heartbeat and they expect a satisfactory recovery.

However, I am asking you dear children to pray for my big brother, George. He is a very good man and an excellent priest and would be very appreciative. In case you are wondering; no, I’m not just saying that because he’s my brother and therefore I have to say nice things about him. I really mean it, and that is in spite of him calling me a twerp all the time when we were kids, or all the wedgies he gave me, or the time he was swinging an incensor in the house and broke Ma’s lamp, then blamed it on me. I could go on and on, but out of charity I won’t.

Nevertheless, he is a good guy and I harbor no ill feelings from my childhood. In fact, if I really wanted to get him back, I could. You see dear children, when George and I were young, we used to play priest. Oh what fun we had! One day when we were playing, George said that he just got word from Rome, that there was a conclave and the cardinals elected him pope, and that as his first pontifical act he was going to excommunicate me for using his football without asking (that is a soccer ball to you Americans).

I was so upset that I was beside myself. I begged him to lift the excommunication, but he refused. He held that thing over my head for years it seemed. It may not seem like a big deal now, but at the time I was traumatized over the whole thing. What is beautiful about Providence is that there really was a conclave and take a wild guess as to who was elected pope? That’s right - your Papa Ratzi. Perhaps when George is released from the hospital and we know everything is OK, I’ll remind him of the time he “borrowed” my bicycle without asking.

In concluding this humble musing, please keep my brother, Fr. George Ratzinger, in your prayers and God bless you.