Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Relativism

I’ve written on the error and threat of Relativism often, so my view should come as no surprise. Relativism is an evil that permeates modern Western culture, so much so, that a man is not even safe from it in his own papal apartment.

A very dear and thoughtful friend brought me a gift from the United States. Not to be a namedropper, but it was Archbishop Levada. I was honored by his gesture and humbly accepted his generous gift. The gift was a much-appreciated case of Budweiser. I thought to myself, “ah, how exciting; it’s been a while since you’ve enjoyed a good pilsner, Joey.”


That evening, after work, I cracked one open. Having fond memories of drinking Budweiser that had been smuggled in from Czechoslovakia, I was anxious to experience that poetic dance of barley and hops upon my palate once again.

What a surprise I was in for. Far from being the smooth, yet complex pilsner I was accustomed to fifty years ago, I found it utterly repugnant and it instantly gave me a headache. For a moment I had even wondered if certain Jesuits had poisoned me.

I began to reflect on the situation and realized that my negative experience was the expected consequence of Relativism. You see; this is precisely what happens in a Relativistic society. Terms like “good beer” become subjective. In this case, even the word “beer” seems to be subjective. Society can no longer trust labels and there is no honor to a man’s word. The implications are horrifying; the law becomes subjective and therefore unjust, and the language of the faith becomes utterly meaningless (people will use words like ordaining women or gay marriage, etc.). What’s worse; next they will probably process some fruit juice, put it in a box, and call it wine. Lord, help us!